This recipe brings together the taste of East Africa and Central America and is packed with flavour! The dish can be served simply with rice, or made into Mexican street food classics like fajitas or enchiladas.
Preparation time: 40 minutes approx.
- 600g chicken breast fillets (use turkey for a low-fat option)
- 2 onions
- 2 sweet peppers - red/yellow/orange
- 2 courgettes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ jar MaRobert's sauce - adjust heat according to preference
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ pint water
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and papper to taste
- Dice the chicken breast, onions, peppers, and courgettes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan over a medium/high heat. Add the chicken and cook through, stirring often.
Add the onion, pepper, and courgette. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle over the chipotle powder and paprika, making sure to distribute evenly. Stir thoroughly and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Add the MaRobert's sauce, tomato puree, and water and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to a medium/low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: cornflour can be used to thicken the sauce if you require.
- Add the grated cheese and stir in.
- Season to taste.
- Serve as required.
Tip: For a vegetarian option replace the chicken with chickpeas and spinach.